"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, November 2, 2007

The Power of Words

I have had various thoughts and ideas about what to write about today. Multiple topics came to mind, but uppermost on my heart has been the power of words. Last night at our Ladies Bible study we were studying the topic of conversation and the words that we use. I also have just started reading The Power of a Woman's Words by Sharon Jaynes. As we discussed the chapter of Susanne Scheppmann's study called Perplexing Proverbs, I was struck by the fact that we can make or break some one's day by the words we speak to them. Proverbs 25:11 states, "A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."

I think of the different words I have heard this week. The phone call that said that they needed me to come in for additional mammogram x-rays, two dear friends that offered to go along with me today; sweet comments made by other bloggers; love, encouragement and prayers from my beloved husband. I also think of the times that I was short when I responded to my sons, or was harsh because of being under stress. The Lord reminded me that even in the midst of difficult situations I still can choose the "right" words to say, and attitude. Being under stress is not an excuse for saying unkind things.

I pray that God will continue to chip away all the old sin nature in my life. Each time I learn something new in my spiritual walk, I think of the image of an artist designing a marble statue and how he chips away all of the unwanted parts. I pray God will chip away all those things in my life that don't bring glory to Him. I desire to be more like Him in all areas of my life.

What words of encouragement and love can you share with someone today? Proverbs 15:4 says that our tongues can bring healing and be a tree of life. Ask God who He has for you to speak pleasant words to, that are sweet and healing.

No comments: