"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thanks for the Trials

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

I've been thinking about this concept today. I came across this quote from Marlene Bagnull in her Bible study for writers entitled Write His Answer.

"I cannot allow disappointments to beat me down so that I become like the hard soil. If I do, the evil one will be waiting to fill me with discouragement and to snatch away my joy and enthusiasm. I cannot become like the stony ground -- someone who enjoys going to writing conferences and being challenged to write, but fails to go home and do it. Instead, I must make the decision to be productive by deliberately choosing to let my roots "grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him." (Col. 2:7, TLB)"
Over the past year and a half my family has been through quite a few trials. Many were ones that I personally faced. In February I took a retreat of sorts, to focus on studying God's peace. My heart was open and ready to have God speak to me in a special way. Since then, God has renewed in me the desire to write. I realized today that it took going through those trials to bring me to the point of being open to hear God's call to write again. Without these trials, I wouldn't be where I am today. I praise God for trials that produced perseverance in my life. When was the last time you thanked God for your trials?

1 comment:

Melanie N. Brasher said...

Wow, what a beautiful reminder. Even though we never long for trials, it is through them that the Lord teaches us so much. Glad that you're writing again, and I look forward to meeting you at the ACFW first timer orientation.