"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Looking for Everyday Blessings

This month has been a busy one with trying to work hard on my creative writing. I am about 2500 words away from my goal for this month of writing 10,000 words. Three chapters are completed, and I'm about ready to start my next one.

One thing with writing a historical book, is trying to get details accurate. Not always an easy task when you are writing about 1878. I have been so incredibly blessed to have a couple people that continue to assist me with my research, especially when I have specific questions. Today I received some photos of the inside staircase of the lighthouse that I am writing about near Camden, Maine. It was exciting for me to be able to see it and picture my characters there.

I know for most people it is just a small and perhaps insignificant thing, but to me it is a blessing. As I thought about it, I realize how often throughout my day does God provide those everyday blessings, that perhaps I often just take for granted. Things like: a summer rainstorm, air conditioning, a sunset, hearing the birds sing, a baby's smile, etc. The list is endless of things I have to be grateful for.

When was the last time that you thanked God for your everyday blessings?

1 comment:

Melanie N. Brasher said...

What a good reminder to thank God for the blessings around us. I've actually joined a gratitude community. You can check it out on my blog. The idea is scratching down 1000 things the father has blessed us with. It's been so good for me to do.
Blessings as you write!