"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Stiff-Necked

"O Lord, if I have found favor in your eyes, he said, "then let the Lord go with us. Although this is a stiff-necked people, forgive our wickedness and our sin, and take us as your inheritance." Exodus 34:9

I wake up each morning lately with a stiff neck. Many years ago when I was in high school I injured my neck during gym class. I've worn glasses ever since I was in second grade. I never have been exceptionally athletic, although I did enjoy playing kickball, basketball and baseball with my older brothers during our growing up years.

On this particular day in school, we were working on gymnastics. Our assignment was to lunge over a bar and go right into a forward roll. I took off my glasses, so I wouldn't break them. Big mistake, because without my glasses everything was blurry.

Somehow I misjudged the bar and instead of proceeding into my forward roll, I landed flat on the top of my head - jarring my neck and spine. Since that fateful day, I've had neck issues. I don't know if I'm starting to develop arthritis as I get older or what.

Due to my neck issues, I frequently have to change pillows. I have found that the memory foam contour pillows work best to support my neck as I sleep. With waking up every day for the past week with pain in my neck, I figured it was time to look for a new pillow.

I went shopping this morning and hopefully hound a new pillow that will help me. I thought of this verse (written above) while I was out today. Moses had just received the second set of stone tablets from God with the Ten Commandments. Moses knew that the people he was leading tended to be hard-hearted at times and forget what God had done for them.

Sometimes I wonder if we are any different. There may be times when we get stuck in out ways, or think that God has to perform a certain way. We may become close minded and bitter when faced with life's disappointments.

I pray that I remember the words that God spoke to Moses as He passed in front of him. "The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin." (Exodus 34:6b-7a) May I choose to have an active, growing relationship with the Lord and not become stiff-necked in my beliefs.

* I had hoped to post this yesterday, but our internet services were down.

No comments: