"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, July 2, 2010

Going Beyond Fear

"So we say with confidence,
   "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
      What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:6


Recently traffic patterns have changed on the highway near my home. It has been under construction for at least a year or two? Cars are now directed in the center lanes through cattle chutes (all right, they actually are those concrete pylons). I never have been crazy about driving this stretch of road, but even more so now. Unfortunately it is often the direction in which I need to travel.

Last week I had to go to my podiatrist appointment. I choose to go the longer route instead of the faster one. Why? Because I wanted to avoid the highway. I admit, I was a bit afraid. Crazy, I know, for a grown women to be afraid of driving through a construction zone.

Today I had to return and I debated which way to go. I felt the Lord prompting me to go outside my comfort zone and try driving on the highway, and you know what? I made it through. Of course it helped that God had it that I wasn't faced with any 18 wheelers trying to pass during this time. I know it's insignificant to most, but I was proud of myself for facing this fear, releasing it and moving onward.

As I thought of this very small accomplishment, the Lord reminded me of other areas in my life where I allow fear to rule me. Not a good thing. I have been sensing that God has great things in store for me. I catch a glimpse of it on the horizon. Part of me is excited, but part of me is scared of the unknown, of stepping out and taking that leap of faith. Today God used this little illustration in my life to remind me the importance of giving my fears to Him and trusting Him more.

No comments: