"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, July 19, 2010

Enough Elastic to Stretch

I want to be like hair bands that I had in my early twenties. All right, I know that's a strange thing to say, but let me explain. Over the weekend I commented to my husband about this issue. I have long hair, and usually have it pulled back during the summer months, because I get too hot otherwise. About a year ago, I finally broke down and bought a pack of new hairbands. All of the ones that I had before that were about on their last legs -all stretched out with not a whole lot of elastic left in them. I had had them for quite a number of years - at least ten or more, but who's counting.

These bands were reliable and strong for many years, before they finally gave out on me. I bought new hair bands, thinking that they would last just as long, but they haven't. I already have had to throw out quite a few of them, because they become so stretched that they are no longer useful anymore. I commented about this to my husband and he said that things from 'a while ago' were made with better materials. It was a time when quality of the workmanship was more important than speed.

Our fast paced society has often traded speed for quality. I can't help but wonder if we sometimes do the same in our Christian lives. Do we opt for sermons that make us feel comfortable, or do we seek to be challenged? Do I seek for things to be easy, or am I willing to be stretched and used by God? I pray that my heart and life will be hemmed with prayer and elastic that can be stretched to its fullest extent, and still bounce back.

We often face difficult things in our lives. That is just part of this sin-filled world that we live in, since man chose to sin. I pray that I'll be able to withstand the troubles and trials that come my way and instead stand strong, with my stretchy elastic in place, ready to bounce back and rejoice no matter the circumstances.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Excellent post! I completely agree. I want to be stretched and challenged.