"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, September 14, 2009

A New Normal

It's been a week now since our oldest son has left for college. I find that we are learning new routines with being a family of three instead of four. The 'firsts' have been hard at times. The first time we go somewhere that all of us normally go to, and our oldest is missing, etc. But I find that we are all learning to adjust as well. We miss him, but also know he is where God desires for him to be.

I can't help but think about the years ahead in the very near future when my youngest will also be leaving the nest. My husband and I will again have to adjust. With three years remaining until that time, I pray that we will faithfully continue the course that is set before us. May we not waver, but remain steadfast.

Doing laundry today was a little easier. Last week my oldest son still had some items in the laundry that needed to be clean. It was difficult going into his room to put the laundry away and realize that it would be over three months before I see him again and have him home.

One thing my youngest son and I have been doing has been to start playing Christmas music. I usually start listening to it in the fall, but this year as we listen, it is a reminder that my son will be home then.

On a different note, I have been enjoying reading Cindy Woodsmall's new book entitled The Hope of Refuge. It has been interesting because it mentions the town where I live. If you get the opportunity, pick up a copy to enjoy.

Well with things semi back to normal, I hope to be more faithful with blog entries. Happy day to you all! :)

3 comments:

Anne said...

It does get a little easier as more time passes. Console yourself on modern technology of email and phone calls. You don't have to wait weeks for the mail....

The next hard part will be seeing him go back after the Christmas visit. Just as you get so used to seeing him around the house they have to leave again. Next summer will be that way.

Have a blessed day!
Anne

~Grace and Peace said...

Hi - I came here from Lysa's blog and saw your comment re having a son go to college. I'm going through the same adjustment, so I thought I'd pay a visit.

My younger son (9) is missing his big brother. He's a little more huggy lately (which I like) and started a journal. The days go by so fast, don't they?

I also read your current post about going back to exercising. I should do the same because I've noticed that I am eating more the last few days!

(((HUGS)))

~Grace and Peace said...

Thank you for this nugget you left on my blog: "How can I be sad when God is leading my child?" How, indeed? Thank you so much for calming this momma's heart.