"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Take Time for Rest

Last night I was telling my husband how tired I have been lately. Our schedule has been pretty intense the past couple weeks. I have felt overwhelmed with all that needs to get accomplished. When I have too many things I'm trying to do and am not getting enough rest, my body responds with headaches and chest pains. Each day for the past couple weeks I have been experiencing at least one of those symptoms.

As I was conversing with my hubby I realized that I have been trying to do too many things lately. They have all been good things, but I just can't do it all. You think I would realize that by now! :) It seems that whenever I have too many days of having to be away from the home because of various activities, my body responds accordingly.

Today God has been whispering to me the need to slow down and that there are times when I need to say no, even when it is a good activity. God made a point of resting on the seventh day after He created the world. Jesus often made a point of getting away from the crowds for some time of rest.

This afternoon my time of rest will include our annual Fall hike to the mountains. Ever since our boys were tiny, we have tried each year to go to the mountains once the leaves start changing colors. Many years we have collected a variety of leaves and then came home and made festive place mats. We take a picnic supper to enjoy before we do some hiking together. It is an event that we all look forward to doing.

It will be a shorter trip this year because my husband still has been experiencing back problems and won't be able to walk very far. It also is starting to get dark quicker, so our time will be limited. But I look forward to glorying in God's presence and the beauty of His nature. When we return home the guys will be having a special "guys" movie night. I hope to just have some down time and get caught up with things that have been weighing on me.

I plan to look at my schedule and see where I can carve times of rest into each week - perhaps even each day. How are you doing with having a time of rest? Are there some areas that you need to change in your life?

No comments: