"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, October 8, 2007

A Heart Tuned to God

Could your heart use a tune-up? When was the last time that you felt God prompting you when you knew that you did something wrong, and He wanted you to make amends? Perhaps you argue with that nudging that what you did really wasn't a big deal. It should be enough to just pray and ask forgiveness.

Yesterday I said some things to a friend that I shouldn't have said. They were unkind words that dealt with another woman. After I left her I knew that God was telling me to make amends. I first argued with myself that I asked God to forgive me, that should be enough, right? No. God was telling me that I needed to call my friend and apologize for speaking ill of someone else. I needed to say those words "I was wrong, could you please forgive me?" When I called and left a message on her answering machine I felt immediate relief.

I know that the key to hearing those 'prompts' from God is by being close to my Heavenly Father, and dealing with my sin right away. If I tend to put it aside and not follow God's leading, my hearing comes a little muffled. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have anything that stands in the way of clearly hearing my Heavenly Father talking to me. I want to have my heart constantly tuned to Him.

"Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:22-23

No comments: