"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, October 5, 2007

God's Word for the Day

This summer I had the wonderful opportunity to attend Proverbs 31 Ministry's She Speaks Conference. (http://www.shespeaksconference.com/) During one of the main session, Lysa TerKeurst, president of Proverbs 31 shared that each day she prays "Lord I want to see you, to hear your voice and to know you." (http://lysaterkeurst.blogspot.com/)

Since the conference, I have made a point of praying that same prayer early in the morning, when I am having my devotions. While teaching a Proverbs 31 Bible study several months ago, I encouraged the ladies to seek God each day and find out what word/instructions He has for you. I have found that it often takes quieting my heart to be able to hear God's soft whisper to me. The wonderful thing is that He doesn't disappoint me. When I remain in close fellowship with Him it becomes much easier to hear what He desires to tell me.

I believe Renee Swope (http://reneeswope.blogspot.com/) said in her blog that she has a specific chair that she uses each day for her time with the Lord. Whenever she passes by the chair throughout the day she is reminded of their time together. How about you, do you have a special place where you meet with God?

One of the things God has talked to me about this past week was the need to get up earlier. I am not a morning person. Perhaps partly because my husband enjoys staying up late, so I try to stay up with him. He can handle five to six hours of sleep and do fine, I can't. I do best with seven to eight hours. So one day last week I had the opportunity to walk in the afternoon for about a half hour and I asked the Lord how I can better schedule my day and get things accomplished. He simply said, "You could get up earlier." So now you find me up much earlier than I used to. This allows me time to regularly exercise, (which had been sporadic) and still have time to catch up with email, blogs, etc. before time to start school for the day. I find myself more encouraged just from that small change I made. I'm able to get more things accomplished throughout the day.

When was the last time you sought out God and asked what word He had for you for the day? What new things is He showing and teaching you?

1 comment:

Sisterlisa said...

I'm so jealous, in all the right ways, that you got to go to a She Speaks Conference. I sure wish they could come to the Western States. I get up early everyday. I just have to,or I won't get time with the Lord. ((hugs))