"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Love of Story Welcomes Paula Mowery

Today we have the pleasure of learning more about award-winning author Paula Mowery. Welcome Paula. How did you develop a 'love of story'?


Since the first time I picked up Little House on the Prairie as a young girl, I’ve loved stories. I began to notice as I read different authors how they brought their stories to life, leaving me wanting more. I wanted to write stories like that. The first stories I wrote were historical romances, rising from those first glimpses in the one room schoolhouse, just like I had seen in Laura Ingalls Wilder’s books.

My mother worked in a Christian bookstore and brought me various fiction titles thus broadening my story experience.

A sermon illustration imbedded into my head and morphed into my first women’s fiction title. I was hooked on that adventure through the storyline with God and how He led me to incorporate lessons from His Word.

The adventure and love of story continues as an inspiration turns into a full story through God’s leadership. Writing Christian fiction for me has meant that I have to grapple with the themes and lessons for myself much like a pastor might have to deal with the subjects of his sermons before being able to present them fully.


I loved Little House on the Prairie books too and it's what also led to my interest in writing. :) What does your writing space look like?


My daughter and I share a room that is supposed to be a living room. I have one side where my L-shaped desk sits. I have small shelves next to me which hold my reference books. A larger shelf on the opposite wall holds my to-be-read books as well as pictures and awards for my writing. Nothing beats having your own space dedicated to your craft.


I can picture it. :) Could you tell us a little bit about your new book, For Our Good?


Charlie Jarvis is haunted by loss that fuels her desire to rid the world of drug traffickers. When her next assignment takes her back to her hometown, she has to confront her painful past. She has no interest in a relationship since God seems to kill everyone she loves. 

Colton Thomas appreciates material things and the status of being a corporate pilot. When someone approaches him to deliver a package for a large sum of money that could wipe out his debts, temptation knocks loud on his door even as his partner, Marshall, slams it shut. Meeting Charlie challenges his non-committal stance with women. As he considers who he has become and the kind of man he would want to be for Charlie, he confronts his own shallow lifestyle and the fear that he would never be able to help her heal her wounds. 

As Charlie pursues the man causing young boys to die of overdoses, she struggles with the secrets she keeps from Colton. With people around them shining the light of God and encouraging their courtship, both Charlie and Colton have to face hard truths about life, death, love, and faith. And maybe find a fresh start for them both. 


That sounds intriguing. Where did you get the inspiration for your latest book?
 

My latest book, For Our Good, came from an actual occurrence in my dad’s occupation as a corporate pilot. One day as he prepared his plane for a flight, a man approached with the offer of a case full of money if my dad would just transport a small parcel. That got my mind to spinning and the story was born.


Wow! I can't imagine. :) What qualities do you look for in a hero and heroine?


In For Our Good I didn’t want the typical damsel in distress. My heroine, Charlie, is a tough undercover cop. I don’t want to spoil the story, but she gets to be the savior of sorts in this story instead of the normal guy saving the girl. I had fun with that.

I don’t like cookie-cutter characters. People aren’t that way. We’re all unique with our own backgrounds and struggles. That’s the way I like to approach creating my characters. I want them to be real and relatable.


LOL. Charlie sounds like a lot of fun. How does your faith and spirituality work in with your writing?


I don’t know how to write anything else other than that which shows my faith in Jesus Christ. Most of my stories seem to show a character struggling with his or her faith and the journey to reconnect.


I know what you mean. I feel the same way. Can you tell your readers about a typical day in your life?


This question made me chuckle. I’m not sure exactly what a typical day would look like because I have very few of them. In addition to being an author and an acquiring editor, I’m a pastor’s wife and part-time public school employee. What I try to make a typical day look like is I first work half a day at school and arrive home around 12:30. I squeeze in some exercise and then sit down to check emails and blogs. I will continue by editing on my authors’ manuscripts and hope I’ll have enough time to squeeze in some of my own writing before stopping to make supper. I’m not that fond of watching television, so I will often edit or write while sitting in my recliner with my hubby and daughter as they watch the tube. I definitely work on editing and writing whenever a spare moment arises too.


You are busy. :) What is the farthest place from home that you've traveled?


I went on a mission trip to Africa. Fifteen straight hours in the air over water. Yikes. But, it was a trip I’ll never forget.


Wow that must have been quite a trip. One final writing related question. Where do you get ideas?


I keep my ears and eyes open. Story ideas are all around. I’ve used real incidences, stories from the news, ideas from dreams, and even prompts from sermons.


Where can readers connect with you?


Readers should visit my blog, www.paulamowery.blogspot.com. There you will find my links for Facebook.

Thank you, Paula for sharing a little bit about your writing life. Next week Susan Craft will be here to share with us. Don't forget that any comments left this month will be entered to win this:

No comments: