"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Love of Story Welcomes Lillian Duncan

Today I'd like to welcome Lillian Duncan. She guest blogged for me just recently while I've been recovering from some major surgery. I thought it would be fun to have her back again today to learn a little more about her.

Let's start with how you developed a love of story.



From the moment I learned to read, I loved reading stories. The stories I read took me to worlds I couldn’t imagine. Where ever I went, you could be sure I had a book with me. When I went to relatives, I had a book. When I went fishing, I had a book. When I was supposed to be listening to the teacher in class, I had a book! 


And yes, I got caught more than once!


 I remember pouring over my Scholastic Reader each month to pick a book to buy. It was pure delight—and pure agony! We were poor so I’m not sure how my mom came up with the money to get me a book each month, but she did. 


Looking back, it’s easy to see that books were an escape for me. But they were more than an escape. Without me knowing it, each of those books helped me become an author!

I can relate to your love of books. :) What does your typical day look like?

I don’t have many “typical days’ right now. Since being diagnosed with bilateral brain tumors 3 years ago, I never know what my day’s going to be like. Some days, I get up and write for several hours. Other days are filled with doctor appointments and treatments. And some days, I just don’t feel all that well but…


God has been so good to me in spite of my health issues. Even though I don’t write as much as I’d like to, books get finished and published. God is amazing!
 

Oh my! You will be in my thoughts and prayers. What a testimony though to still be able to write. How does your faith and spirituality work in with your writing?
 
It’s different in every book. Sometimes my characters are strong Christians. Other times they are not a Christian at the beginning of the story but become one during it. In the case of Maven, her faith grows stronger with each of the Deadly Communications books.


         That sounds interesting. Where did you get the inspiration for your latest book?

I was a school speech pathologist, also known as an SLP, for more than thirty years. I’ve also been writing for twenty. During the time, I never figured out a way to merge the two together until about a few years ago, three things happened within a week of each other.



First I was talking with someone whose daughter had been in a serious car accident that resulted in brain damage and was having difficulty with her expressive language skills.



Second, my brother asked me why I’d never featured a speech therapist in any of my books. My honest answer was I’d never figured out how to work a speech therapist into a suspense story. I loved being a speech pathologist but I’ll be the first to admit, it can be a bit boring listening to a student practice S or R again for the 600th time!



Anyway... later in the week I wasn’t doing anything in particular. All of a sudden, a ten-second movie blip played in my head. A young woman ran through the woods. As she emerged from the trees, she ran onto a highway where the headlights of a truck blinded her.



 In that instant, the plot of Deadly Communications was born and from that Maven, my crime-fighting speech therapist was created. DEADLY INTENT is book 2 in the series and she finds herself in even more trouble than in the first book!

 
Wow! What fun and a great way to work in your experience. What do you plan to work on next?

Book 3 of the series, DEADLY SILENCE, is finished and waiting for a release date. In this book, Maven works with a late-deafened adult which is a topic close to my heart since I’ve become completely deaf in one ear and lost hearing in the other as a result of my brain tumors.

You certainly have been through a lot these past years. What is your favorite Bible verse and why?


Romans 8: 28… It’s a promise that God will work out all things for the good of those who love Him. Since being diagnosed with bilateral brain tumors in 2012, I’ve repeated this verse over more times than I can remember. I believe this verse with my whole heart and soul! In spite of my health issues, I have a wonderful life that I’m so grateful to God for. 

What a great promise. When do you fit writing into your day?

Since I’m retired, I don’t have to worry about having a 9-5 job so I get to write or not write as the mood hits me. I’m also blessed with a wonderful husband who does lot of the housework and all of the cooking so I can spend more time writing!  

What a blessing! :) What does your writing space look like?
 
It’s a mess--just like me!

LOL. You sound like you are far from being a mess. :) To learn more about Lillian and her books, visit: www.lillianduncan.net. Tiaras & Tennis Shoes is her personal blog at www.lillian-duncan.com. She's on Facebook and Twitter as well.

Thank you so much for joining us today, Lillian. I pray God's blessings on you and your writing. 

Tune in next week to learn about Paula Mowery. Also, it's a new month so we have a new giveaway. Any comments left this month will be entered into the drawing for the following:

Hope you have a great day! :)
 

No comments: