"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, September 28, 2015

Clinging to the Rock



From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Psalm 61:2 (NKJV)


Sunshine flashed for a second as the track opened to daylight before being submersed in a tunnel again. My hands had a death grip on the silver bar that was to keep me from flying out of the race car on Disney's Test Track. Why had I agreed to go on this ride with my husband? My knuckles turned white as I continued to cling and pray the ride would soon be over.

This memory flitted through my mind as I drove to a conference upstate this summer. The section of road I traveled had sheer rock walls on either side. As I passed a car, I noticed a tree growing out of a precipice. It stood tall, it's roots clinging to the rock face. The tree had obviously withstood the storms of life and still remained standing.

I couldn't help but think about my need to cling to God, the Rock. In the midst of struggles and trails
and unforeseen things in my life, I can go to the one who loves me and knows me intimately. I need to seek my Rock every day, not just in the storms of life. I shouldn't wait until I'm overwhelmed by situations, but instead have a continual relationship with my Heavenly Father. I desire for others to see in me how I fasten myself to the Rock.

When have you been led to God and sought His face? This moment is the perfect time to cling to the Rock.

No comments: