"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, March 2, 2009

A Love Story Handwritten By God

Don’t you just enjoy a good love story? Whether you hear a friend’s adventure, watch a movie or read a book, as a woman it is easy to get wrapped up in the romance. Recently my friend shared that for Valentine’s Day her husband had written her a love letter. Later in the day when he took her out to eat at a pizza place he shared a special song with her as well. Perhaps when you hear something like that you sigh and think, “Wouldn’t that be nice….”

Recently I have been reading a variety of books entitled When Dreams Come True and When God Writes Your Love Story both written by Eric & Leslie Ludy, as well as Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris. My husband and I never had a ‘dating’ relationship. When I was in high school I made a commitment to the Lord to focus on serving Him until He showed me who He wanted me to marry. I met my husband while we were both attending college. We were in a Christian organization together on campus and that is how we got to know each other.

We became good friends and enjoyed talking and being together, but neither of us thought anything about it. We hung out with a bunch of other Christian friends and just had fun. Before too long people started commenting to each of us separately about our ‘relationship’. Both of us had no idea what they were talking about. God had completely blinded us until He showed us that He had hand-picked us for each other.

So why have I been reading these books? Well, now I have two sons that are in their teenage years and my husband and I are encouraging them to not ‘date’ but to allow God to point them in the direction that He wants for their lives. These books have similar themes to that, so I have been reading them to get some ideas as well. In their own way they talk about the love story that God has written just for you.

I know their intentions are in regards to male/female relationships. But I think as Christians it goes beyond that. God has a handwritten story for your life, which is just for you. It is different from any other person on this earth. He desires to know you in an intimate way and to have you follow Him. He knows everything about you and desires to be in communion with you each day.
Even though I love a good romantic story, I am thrilled to know that God has a personal story that He wants to write in my life. I know that I can trust Him and that He has desires for my good.

How about you? Are you ready to hand God the pen and allow Him to write that personal story or letter for you?

No comments: