"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Upright in the Sight of God

"In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly." Luke 1:5-6

As I was reading my Bible this morning I came upon these two verses, especially by the phrase "Both of them were upright in the sight of God." That is my prayer - to be upright in God's eyes, to be the woman of God that He desires for me to be. I want to be blameless at following His commandments.

Do I meet those standards? Sadly, I often fall far short of the goal. But my heart's desire is to strive to be more like my Daddy. I pray that each time I fail I will be one step closer to recognizing my wrongs, before they occur.

I have not blogged a lot this summer, or even followed blogs as much because my husband and I have been undergoing an incredibly stressful time. My natural reaction when in such a situation is to withdraw and close in on myself. I had written months ago about my best friend moving to Georgia and how hard it has been for me. Since she left I had been praying for new friends but didn't have a lot of faith that it was going to happen for quite a while.

Recently my life has been blessed with the renewal of a dear friendship from college as well as getting to know a former acquaintance from college. My life has been richly blessed by both of these women. God brought us all together when I least expected and also needed it the most. I have been realizing how important it is to have other friends-dear women to come alongside us and carry our burdens. We need friends in our lives that spur us on to a deeper relationship with the Lord. I pray that we can do that for each other. I pray that together we can become upright and blameless in the sight of God.

Who can you ask to join you in this journey as well?

No comments: