"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall Musings

The crunch of fallen leaves beneath your feet, the distant honk of geese making their way south, the cool crisp temperatures, the colorful array of leaves as they carpet the path you are walking, and the beauty of the frost outlining a beautiful Fall leaf. Apples, pumpkins, colorful leaves, apple cider, pumpkin pie and apple and pumpkin desserts are just a few of the things I love about Fall. I eagerly anticipate the arrival of Fall.

This year it has crept up on my suddenly. This weekend my husband and I enjoyed a trip to the local orchard for apples. We even picked up some pears, honey and salsa as well. We have been eating ever since! :) Fall gets me in the mood for baking - apple pie, apple crisp, pumpkin pie, cookies, etc. It also is a time that I enjoy starting a soup in the Crockpot and bread in the bread machine.

Yesterday we invited some dear friends to our home following the evening church service. Before they came we spent a couple hours getting the house presentable for company. As I cleared off our dining room table I decided to go ahead and pull out the Fall decorations as well. We don't have much, some leaves, pumpkins, fall place mats and table cloth as well as a door hanging. We don't celebrate Halloween, but I have always decorated for Fall.

When I was pregnant with my youngest son we started an annual tradition of going on a Fall hike. The mountains are fairly close to us, so each year we travel up them to a spot where we can walk through the woods. We usually have a picnic supper together and trek along the path looking for the most colorful leaves. We each have bags to collect leaves. Many times we have returned home and used those leaves to make a place mat for the season. This will be our last year to go as a family before my oldest heads off to college in Florida next Fall. Sigh.

Fall can be a time of new beginnings. A time to decide to change and be different. Is there something new that you feel God is leading you to do, or perhaps you can use these next couple months as a time to draw closer to your Heavenly Father. May you enjoy this first day of Fall as well as the season.

Blessings,
Pearls

2 comments:

Dorothy Champagne said...

I grew up in NorthEast Ohio and remember fall the way you described it. It truly is a beautiful time of year and worthy of renewing ourselves. Thanks!

Sharon said...

I am in florida we don't have the same fall you do, would love to see pictures. But yes it sounds soooo beautiful! My fall is covering up my swimming pool, picking up oranges off the ground and putting away the pool chairs.
Waiting for some cold temp's to sweeten the citrus fruits.
You made me hungry thinking about all the baking and apples!!!
Have a Blessed Day
Sharon