"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, September 8, 2008

My Cup Is Overflowing....

...And I hadn't realized before now that it had been sadly empty. Have you ever felt that way before? You have been just struggling to hang on by your fingernails because of the tumult of life. Perhaps like me, you have been in that situation so long that you didn't even realize that your cup was empty. You do all that you can just to make it through each day. I honestly think that is why I have had such a fuzzy brain lately. I have been so beaten down by a situation that we are facing that it is hard to even think clearly.

But then sometimes God surprises you when you least expect it. He surprised us with new friends when we needed it the most. They have come alongside and bolstered and supported us. I am amazed when I look back at the short time that we have known each other, but yet there is a familiarity there as if we have been friends all of our lives. I know that blessing is from the Lord.

As we returned home last evening from an outing together as families, I realized that I was overflowing with joy. It made me stop and realize how long it has been since I have felt joy. I was reminded of Galatians 6:2, " Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Our friends have come alongside us and helped to carry the load and because of that and the fellowship we have shared, I have experienced overflowing joy. I think of Philemon 1:7, " Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints."

Is there someone today that you know that could use some encouragement? Sometimes all it takes is a note or phone call, and definitely a prayer. Let's see who we can bless today.

2 comments:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

What a great blessing that God has given you this family's friendship just at the right time!

Reminds me of something in our Sunday school lesson yesterday. I was teaching on the Glory of God. One of the points was that sometimes God especially likes to show up when we least expect it and when we need it the most. For example, in our lesson, when Moses was on the "backside of the desert" and God showed up in the burning bush!

So glad to hear you're being refreshed in your "desert" place! :)

Marilyn

Renee Swope said...

Hi there,

I've been thinking about you often and pray you are doing well. You come to mind every time I think about my doubt message at She Speaks - and God's faithful provision through my praying friends! You were such a blessing to me and I feel bad that I have been so out of touch with my blogger friends lately as we adjust to school and all that's going on around here.

I am so excited that God has brought you and your family some new friends of the soul! I remember you sharing how hard it was when a close friend of yours moved and now He's bringing new gifts of joy.

I do pray that your husband's job situation brings promising change soon. I know that when JJ is stressed, I am stressed and I want to find ways to relieve that burden from him. I pray that God will refresh you as you refresh so many others.

Love and hugs,
Renee