"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, September 11, 2008

How Deep Are Your Roots?

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord." James 1:5-7

"Then Jesus said to them, "Don't you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable? The farmer sows the word. Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them. Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop—thirty, sixty or even a hundred times what was sown." Mark 4:13-20

The Lord brought these verses to mind today as I was on my morning walk and time with the Him. I have been thinking about the 'waiting' time that my husband and I are in right now. I was praying that through this time of unknowns I will remain faithful. I know that we have been constantly praying for wisdom for the situation we are in as well as our future and where God is leading us. James 1:5-7 says that when we ask for wisdom we will receive it. It also says that we need to believe and not doubt.

I must admit that when my husband came home on Tuesday with the 'wait' answer, I started doubting. "Maybe we didn't hear right from God." "Maybe I was wrong...... Maybe......" The list can go on and on. I realized that the more I doubted and questioned, the more I was like the wave of the sea that is affected by the wind.

Forgive me Lord for doubting. Help me to be like the seed that fell on good soil. Help my roots to be deep, sturdy and strong. Even if the answer turns out to be different than I had hoped, may my roots and plant remain healthy and strong.

No comments: