"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, June 2, 2008

Motivation

Saturday was a kick back day for our family. We had nowhere that we needed to go and absolutely nothing on the schedule that had to be accomplished. My husband and I did work through setting up some bills. I was on a roll and decided to work on recording all our finance exchanges for the month. I usually do it weekly, but had gotten behind this month. After working on that I looked at where we are with our tithing, and wrote checks to the organizations that we support. As I was looking for an envelope, I noticed that my drawer where I hold these was overflowing. So I ended up cleaning out that drawer and slimming it down to just a few things that we need to keep.

Before I knew it, it was about time to start cooking supper. I got sidetracked by some dishes that needed put away first. I had a dish drain full of plastic drinking bottles. So I decided to go through the cupboard that has all of the bottles in it. However it was overflowing, and they would not all fit. First on the list was matching bottles with lids. Next I threw away the ones that were in bad shape. I kept slimming down until they actually all fit in the cupboard now.

As I reflected at the end of the day I marveled at the motivation I had to get just a few small areas clean. I felt great when I thought back at all that I had accomplished. So I have set up a schedule for the next eight weeks of various rooms in my home that need to be thoroughly cleaned and de-junked. I am tired of having my life ruled by the things in our home. I plan to be getting rid of a lot of "stuff" over the next two months. Today we will be dropping off our old bedroom furniture at the local thrift store. I also have boxes of clothes waiting for donation as well.

I find that with the more that I clean and organize, the more motivated I am to get things clean in my home. The more things I let go of, the more free I feel. I look forward to the end of July when I plan to not only have a clean, organized home, but also a calm, quiet spirit. I pray that as I get rid of 'things' in my house, that God also gets rid of 'things' in my heart. Some of those old sin patterns that are hard to break. Make me clean and whole and new in my heart as I work on the things in my home.

2 comments:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

This is exactly where I want to be in my life also.....getting rid of the clutter! I am a "Messie" from way back and it just seems like the hardest thing in the world for me to throw stuff away and have an uncluttered home! BUT....when I do, it's just like you said....I feel so much better and so much more motivated to do even more! And it does give me a calmer spirit too.
So...maybe this afternoon I will go through my closet and see what clothes I can take to Salvation Army when I go to town in the morning! :)

God bless!
Marilyn

Jessica Denise said...

Congratulations! I don't live with my mother but still have a room at her place. Since I'll be going away to graduate school this Fall, I decided to go to her place and take the old clothes we've been "meaning to donate" to the Salvation Army. I went through my old shoes and took about 10 bags to the SA. When I called her last night to talk, she told me that she was going to go through everything in her apartment and throwing away old papers she doesn't need and we're going to donate the stuff that others can use that we don't. I'm proud of her! I know she wants to move soon and this is one step to prepare her for it.

I was saying to her last night, how in Ephesians 4 it says to put off the old self. Her divorce just went through and she's moving on. In order to be ready for the new things that God has for her, I think it's important for her to let go of holding onto stuff. So, she'll be ready for all the new stuff God has with it! And I'm excited!