"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Easy Pickle Recipe

With warmer weather just around the corner, I thought I would post an easy pickle recipe that I got from my mother-in-law.

2-3 Cucumbers or zucchini (I use both when they are readily available)
1 large sweet onion
2 cups water
2 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
salt

Slice cucumber, zucchini and onions. Leave onions as rings. Place in large bowl and liberally salt. Let sit for about an hour until it starts to wilt (water will form in bottom of the bowl). Rinse thoroughly.Taste to make sure they are not too salty.

In the mean time, stir equal parts of vinegar, water and sugar. Pour over cucumbers, zucchini and onions. (Be sure it is in a bowl with a lid). Keep in refrigerator. Start enjoying the next day.

2 comments:

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Yum!!! Have you ever tried them fried?!?!?! They are really really yummy! I live in the South, can you tell? According to Southern law, everything tastes better deep fried!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Ummmmm....that sounds yummy. I will try it with zucchini when we get it as I don't like cucumbers. We are just now planting our garden this week. I like that it doesn't make SO many also! Since we are "empty-nesters" now it doesn't take so much.

Thanks for sharing.

God bless....
Marilyn