"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Counter Cultural

I have been thinking a lot lately about how we are called to be separate from the world and to be different. Romans 12:2 says, " Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Unfortunately even in the church we find compromise and conforming to the world. You hear comments like, "Well, that verse doesn't apply to us today because we live in a different time." But isn't all of God's scripture ordained? We can't just pick and choose which of the areas that we want to obey and just disregard others.

1 Timothy 2:11-12 says, "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent." When you read this passage, what comes to mind?

Please share your thoughts.

4 comments:

Kim from Canada said...

That would be one of the most challenging verses for me! I am fully convicted to follow the authorities that the Lord has put in my life, including allowing the men to lead the church (without my meddling!). It isn't easy when the women of North America are raised in the feminist mentality. Fortunately, I have seen the work of the Lord through the men who lead my church (and the man who leads my family) and it is so much more incredible when I don't interfere and just trust God for His will in all areas.

Do I think the verse says women should never have input? No. A true leader, a godly man, will acknowledge the concerns of those in his care and make decisions based on what is best for them. Just as God only wants His best for His children, so should those with the responsibility of authority.

Women who always take charge, either outright or through manipulation, never get the chance to see God's work. I was there for most of my life (and sometimes fall back to it) but everyday I try to look for ways to build up the leaders in my life. Hopefully, practice will make perfect!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I agree....this can be complicated! I am a firm believer in the man taking the lead role in the home and in the church. However, I agree with Kim in saying that does not mean that women will never be asked for their input.

I taught our kids homeschool until they graduated. Did that mean I was out of my bounds by teaching my teenage boys? No, because I was doing so under the authority of my husband.

For twenty plus years I taught a children's Sunday school class with 1st through 3rd graders as pupils. But I would not have felt comfortable teaching a teenage boy's Sunday school class. Now for the past few years I have taught the adult ladies class in our church. But I would not try and teach a class with a mix of ladies and men in it. I feel we as women have a special place we are meant to be and if we step out of bounds we open up a can of worms that can be almost impossible to ever close again.

Thanks for letting my give my two-cents worth!

God bless....
Marilyn in MS

MelissaTaylor.org said...

Ooh, honestly, I may have to remain silent on this:)

Just kidding. But seriously, this is hard and admittedly, I'm not very good at being silent with my man. My mouth usually ends up getting me in trouble!

Fortunately, I am blessed with a husband who asks for my opinion, advice, and input. There are times when we disagree and he makes the final decision and I'm okay with that (most of the time)...I'm just being honest here!

On the rare occasion that he is wrong, it is fun to say, "told ya!"

I've missed you Pearls! Thanks for providing us with a biblical thought provoking challenge!
Love,
Melissa

Sisterlisa said...

I feel that means that woman are not to have authority over a man. This could be quite lengthy and it's late for me here. But as God's word clearly defines what He intends for a woman's role in life, America could be in a heap of trouble if a woman takes the seat in the Oval office. I've mentioned that before in the net and got a lot of lashes for it. But it wasn't me who put it in the Bible. God did that.They can take it up with Him. ;O) Good topic.