"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Letter to Millions

"After this letter has been read to you, see that it is also read in the church of the Laodiceans and that you in turn read the letter from Laodicea." Colossians 4:16

Perusing through Colossians today in my Bible reading, I noticed this verse that the apostle Paul wrote at the end of his letter to the church at Colosse. Paul's letter was written with the intention that others would read it and share it with another church as well. That got me thinking. I have written many letters through the years, often ones of encouragement. My letters have touched individuals, but they have been limited in that the only person likely to read them is the recipient.

Paul's intentions was that the believers in two churches would hear his "news". It is very likely that he had no idea of the ramifications of his obedience in writing that letter (and others throughout the New Testament). Because Paul was faithful, he has touched millions of lives down through the ages from the simple act of putting his thoughts down on paper.

I love to write, but know the likelihood of me touching millions through the words I write is pretty unlikely. But I thought too that each of us have an opportunity to touch millions through our obedience and witness for Christ. If we faithfully shine our light for people to see, others too are encouraged to shine and share the gospel, and through time it becomes far reaching. Scripture says, "Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart." Proverbs 7:2-3 You may not ever be an author that reaches the multitudes, but you can choose each day to write God's truths on the tablet of your heart so that others see Him through you.

2 comments:

Sisterlisa said...

You sure can have your writings reach others. Keep blogging and join some blog rings. ((hugs)) Thank you for this admonishment. It reminds me to keep writing.

LAUREN at Faith Fuel said...

"the likelihood of me touching millions through the words I write is pretty unlikely"- but then again, you never know!