"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, April 20, 2009

Things I Take For Granted

Not quite a month ago my husband was involved in a skiing accident that completely fractured his pelvis from the leg joint all the way through the top of the pelvis. He underwent a seven hour surgery to repair the damage that was done. One of the complications he faced from surgery is numbness and extreme pain in his right hand. He has very little feeling in it, and this is his dominant hand. It makes it difficult for him to use his crutches or walker.

Our lives have changed in just an instant. I used to take for granted having my husband be the strong one in our family. I took for granted when he came home each day and gave me a hug and lovingly embraced me. I also just assumed he would always be lying by me in bed each evening. But life has drastically changed in that he only can sleep comfortably in the easy chair in our living room. Due to being on crutches and in tremendous pain he is not able to really give or receive hugs without hurting him. For now it is me that is having to be strong. I only can be strong because of my faith in the Lord.

I realize that I could have easily lost my dear husband and I am very grateful that I still have him. The Lord has been showing me in a multitude of ways of my need to have a thankful heart and to not take things for granted. I need to continually work on being a servant and being more like my Heavenly Father. I desire to be open and receptive to my husband. I pray that through all the difficult times we are facing that I will remain strong in my witness for the Lord.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Our prayers continue for all of you! God's grace is sufficient for you. You are never alone in your trial. Embrace the lesson that God has in store for your family. Continue to have that grateful heart and one that trusts in Him completely. He knows what is best for you.

Journeying with you in prayer,
Anne

Unknown said...

Praying for continued blessings from friends and paid leave at work. Glad the first door opened towards that provision. Praying for many more!

A thankful heart is the best medicine of all. You're doing great sweet friend - keep your eyes on HIM!!

Blessings and hugs,
Renee