"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Guest Blogger Darlene Franklin



Welcome guest blogger, Darlene Franklin, as she shares about her new book.

Blurb: When Mahala Kent’s tea party honoring her brother’s marriage turns into a brawl over tea, she’s forced out of her wealthy neutrality. A public debate on the subject pushes her even closer to her childhood friend and hoped-for suitor, Jothan Stout. Will the arrival of a tea shipment in Greenwich push Jothan and Mahala further apart—or give them a common taste for herbal infusions?

How did I come up with the idea for Infusion of Love? A few years ago, while Barbour was publishing four-novella Christmas collections, I discovered that there were at least four tea protests in the Colonies besides the famous Boston Tea Party.  Both the first and the last tea “events” took place at Christmas time, so we proposed a collection called A Tea Party Christmas

The other authors were very interested in Boston, Philadelphia, and Charleston, so I took Greenwich, NJ, by default. I also have an interest in New Jersey, because I attended college there. Since it was the last of the tea events, and I called my story The Last Tea Party

Barbour changed its policies and the collection fizzled until my new publisher, Forget Me Not Romances, put together a collection called Teacup Courtships, which are all historical. A Touch of Sugar by Cynthia Hickey is also available at this time. They are paired with Mocha Marriages, which are contemporary. There will be five titles in each collection.

Of course The Last Tea Party came to mind, but I had to change the title. The editor and I brainstormed a title, and since the patriots drank herbal infusions instead of British tea, we decided on Infusion of Love. I confess I fell in love with the story as I was writing it. Writing a brawl scene with the best of Greenwich’s ladies in 1774 was a blast—as was imagining what it was like to steal tea from a warehouse in the middle of town and burn it to the ground. 

I hope you enjoy reading this journey into our beginnings as much as I enjoyed writing it. 

Bio: Best-selling author Darlene Franklin’s greatest claim to fame is that she writes full-time from a nursing home. She is an active member of Oklahoma City Christian Fiction Writers, American Christian Fiction Writers, and the Christian Authors Network. She has written over fifty books and more than 250 devotionals.


No comments: