"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, October 12, 2015

Smell of Death or Life?

To those who are perishing, we are a dreadful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved, we are a life-giving perfume.
2 Corinthians 2:16 (NLT)






I love to smell bath towels. Let me clarify. I love the way clothes smell after they've been washed and hang on the line to dry. They have a wonderful scent that only comes from being hung outdoors.

One time, many years ago I had the clothes on the line to dry. Only in this instance they smelled awful once they were brought inside. In fact they were so bad I had to rewash them and dry them in the dryer.

What made the difference? A local farmer decided to spread manure on his fields and the blowing 'scent' clung to the clothes.

It makes me wonder what kind of 'scent' or 'smell' do I have when I'm around others? Is it evident I've been with the Lord and have a 'life-giving perfume'? Or when I choose to linger in bitterness and disappointments do I bring along the 'dreadful smell of death and doom'?

My prayer is to have the 'life-giving perfume'. I don't want the stink of manure lingering on me. How about you. Are you enveloped in stench or perfume? What do you need to do to be more sweet-smelling?

Each day and moment is new. It's never too late to make a change in your life to be more like your Savior. 

No comments: