"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, September 13, 2013

H is for Hero - Blog hop Friday

A to Z blog hop at Patterings.
With celebrating Patriot's Day on Wednesday, I figured it was a good week to have 'H is for Hero'. I can't help but think of the many men and women who risk and sometimes give their lives daily in defense of our freedoms as a Nation, or to save lives through their heroism.

Perhaps I'm a bit more attuned to this with having just witnessed my son perform his final swearing in to become a sailor in the United States Navy and watching him leave on the bus for the airport as he headed off to boot camp. I'm proud of him and his decision to serve in our military. He follows a long line of men who have served in my family and my husband's family: my husband, his father and grandfather, and both of his brothers, my Dad and my brother. They've represented multiple branches between them - Navy, Army, and Air Force.

Thank you to all who have served and are serving in the military. Thank you for those who serve each day as fire fighters, policemen, and other professions that every day are heroes.


5 comments:

Tom Threadgill said...

May God bless and protect your son and he serves our nation. I have the utmost respect for our military men and women. Too often we don't appreciate them until we need them. Thanks for sharing!

Joanne Sher said...

Amen! Lovely post.

Barbara Lynn Culler said...

Amen to that!

J'nell Ciesielski said...

I come from a long line of military history, all the way back to the Revolutionary War. I was the first girl though! Good for your son. Keep the patriotism running strong.

Karla Akins said...

Please thank your son for me, too!