"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Simple Prayer

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16b

I sat in the waiting area this morning while my son underwent an MRI of his shoulder. The news came on at noon, from a station in VA. I watched as snow befell their area. The forecast showed snow through most of MD and VA. The cutoff for precipitation seemed to end right at the MD/PA border. I sighed in frustration.

As I drove my son back home, I prayed a simple prayer of "Lord, could you make the snow come a little further north so we can get some too?" I knew, it was something God could easily perform. I didn't doubt His ability. I had little faith it would be a prayer He would answer though.

Minutes later I was waiting in line at a fast food restaurant to pick up a quick lunch, so I could meet with a dear friend. As I looked out my window, I saw a single snowflake. I looked again, wondering if I had imagined it. By the time I left the parking lot, an extremely light snow was falling. While we ate our lunch and conversed, the snow continued to thicken and fall, covering sidewalks.

Most people think I'm crazy because I love snow so much. I can't describe it, but it brings me such joy to see the earth being blanketed. It's a constant reminder to me of how Christ paid the penalty for our sins, and wipes our hearts clean when we come to him.

I praise God for answering my simple prayer this afternoon and bringing joy to my heart.

No comments: