"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Simple Act of Kindness

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." 
1 Thessalonians 5:11 

My heart was touched this afternoon by a simple act of kindness. I had been feeling a little overwhelmed as of late. So many things on my plate, along with experiencing daily pain with my sore shoulder. has left me a bit worn out and lacking much joy. It probably didn't help that I'm also sleep deprived, after being up with my husband several times through the night when he wasn't feeling well.

While my husband rested, I decided to work on Christmas cards, to see if I could make any progress with them. I was interrupted by a phone call from my dear friend, asking if it would be all right if she stopped by for a few minutes to return something to me. I agreed, but asked her not to ring the doorbell, so my husband wouldn't be disturbed.

My friend and her husband arrived about ten minutes later with a surprise for us - a beautiful wreath to hang on our front door. I was so blessed and moved by this simple gift. I knew it took time and effort for her husband to craft this present, and I am so appreciative. 

I pray my heart will be open to hear when God calls me to encourage someone through a simple act. This season is a wonderful time to touch people's lives and share God's love and light. I'm blessed to be on the receiving end, but also pray I can be a giver too.

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

What a blessing you had....and then you gave me a blessing by sharing here today!

Merry Christmas from Mississippi!

Marilyn