"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Permission Not to Stress

 " Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

I had lunch with a dear friend today. It was such a joy to sit down and reconnect with her after being gone on vacation to Maine. I was able to share with her some of my photos and materials I picked up while we visited Camden. She blessed my heart by being excited about what was important to me.

After I left her, I walked over to the Fashion Archives, which is having a show on the clothes of the nineteenth century. This was of particular interest to me, since this is the time period that I am writing about in my Christian historical fiction book. While I perused the display of old dresses, my mind ruminated on the discussion my friend and I had just had.

I was telling her about how my time has gone, since we returned from Maine. I mentioned not being able to write yet, and stressing over all that needed to be accomplished. She suggested taking a break from writing until January, and instead focus on what needed accomplished for Christmas.

A simple remedy, but one I hadn't come up with before now. As I walked back to her office, I felt as if a huge weight had been removed from my shoulders. She gave me permission to not stress and try and get everything accomplished. She assured me it was all right to take a break. I had been feeling guilty about not being able to get everything done that needed to be.

Sometimes (maybe often) we need a friend who knows us well enough to advise us and tell us ways we can improve. I'm thankful for this dear woman who had the keen insight to know I needed permission to not try and do it all. I praise God for this incredible friend!

No comments: