"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Heart Preparation

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:29-30

As I turned the calendar to December this morning, my first initial inclination was panic, especially when my son and I wrote 24 days to Christmas and started our countdown to celebrating Christ's birth. My brain ticked off all the things waiting to be accomplished - find photo for Christmas letter, print Christmas letter, write Christmas cards, figure out what gifts we have already, and what we still need, finish decorating the house, search for a Christmas tree, decorate said tree, make cookies, wrap gifts, make gifts..... The list swirled in my head. I also remembered the 30,000 words or so I still need to finish on the novel I'm writing. My goal is to have it completed by Christmas. Ahh!!!

Then I stopped, took a breath, and remembered a conversation I had with my friend from Georgia on Monday. We were discussing preparation for the holiday season. I started listing all the things 'to do', and she commented that she decided she wasn't going to be stressed this Christmas season. After all, we are celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior, it's all about Him. So perhaps my cards will be a little late this year, and I won't get to all the things I would like to do. The most important thing to focus on is preparing my heart for celebrating Christ's birth. He is the reason for the season.

No comments: