"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Heart Health

With the beginning of a New Year, some people make decisions to get in better shape. They desire to exercise and be more controlled in their eating. Perhaps health issues are the reason for the sudden change in routine.

I thought of these different things as I was lying on an examining table this morning to have an echo cardiogram of my heart. Through modern technology this machine was able to see the inner workings of my heart. If there happens to be a problem, a doctor will diagnose it and let me know what to do to get my heart in better shape.

But how is the condition of your heart? Not your physical heart, but your spiritual heart? Only God knows what we think and feel within our hearts. He knows what secrets we keep that others do not see. Perhaps today you could use a 'heart' checkup. Here are some questions to ask yourself.

  • Am I regularly spending time with the Lord?
  • Am I reading His Word each day?
  • Do I have any un-confessed sin?
  • Is there someone that I need to forgive?
  • Am I allowing the world creep into my heart?
  • Do I have regular fellowship with other Christians?
  • Am I reaching out to others?
Make it a goal to have a healthy heart this year - both spiritually and physically.

No comments: