"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Open and Listening

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."Luke 2:13-14

I thought of this verse this morning as I was driving my son to swim practice. In the hills, outside the sleepy village of Bethlehem, were shepherds watching their sheep. Things were quiet and calm when suddenly an angel appeared, telling them about the birth of the Savior. I could perhaps see how one angel could go unnoticed by the sleeping community. But don't you wonder how all of the people slept through a great company of heavenly host, praising God?

It made me pause and think about the importance of being open to hear God's voice in my life. But in order to hear, I need to be intentionally listening for that voice as well. So as I go about this Advent season, I pray that I will be open and listening to hear what God has to say to me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen! I believe it is vitally important for us to be open to hear God's voice in our lives.

That is my prayer, too--to be open and to be listening. To go deeper!

Prayers and blessings,
Rebecca