"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Listening Heart

Proverbs 1:5 "Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance."

It's been a long and weary day. Many things were accomplished - like home schooling, completely decorating the main floor for the upcoming Christmas season, taking care of some bills, meals, etc. The dishes were washed and put away. The kitchen was fairly tidy. I had a few minutes before leaving for the community Thanksgiving service being held at our church.

I was feeling tired and a little overwhelmed with the things that need to be accomplished before leaving for a mini vacation. As my husband was getting ready for our soon departure I asked him, "Do you love me?" I have to be honest, my mind started whirring on my "To do" list and I didn't hear his answer. So a minute later I asked him again, "Do you love me?" He replied that his answer hadn't changed from the previous minute. I then realized that I had not heard his first response. I was too busy thinking about everything else.

All day I have been 'busy' getting all the things done that needed to be done, or at least what I thought needed to be accomplished. All throughout the day I have been in prayer about what I should write for today's advent devotional. I was having no direction or leading. I realize that most likely God was already speaking to me, but I was too busy to hear what He had to say.

Do you ever get like that? Too occupied with things that you don't really hear what is going on around you. Maybe you are so focused on your thoughts that you miss out on a conversation. It's easy to be the one talking, but harder to be a good listener.

I think about the night that Jesus was born. The shepherds listened to the proclamation from the angels, and immediately went to see the Messiah. I'm sure they would have been overflowing with joy and shared with other people about the wondrous things they had witnessed. But scripture doesn't make mention of anyone else other than the wise men that heard about the birth of our Lord. Perhaps they weren't listening.

As our thoughts focus on the things that need to be done, make sure you take time alone with God and really listen to what He is trying to tell you. You just might be surprised.

ACTIVITY
This holiday season make a point of stopping what you are doing and really listen to what someone may be trying to say to you.

PRAYER
Lord, sometimes I get distracted by all that needs to get done that I forget to just spend time with you and listen for your voice. Help me each day to seek your face. Amen.

No comments: