"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, November 28, 2008

A Heart That Plans


Jeremiah 29:11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

We are on a trip that we have planned for quite some time. We had been unsure if we would be able to go or not due to our oldest son's health issues. Just four days ago we received the news that we would be able to vacation. Itinerary and hotel stops were figured out weeks in advance, with the hope that we would be able to leave.

Over the past few days I have made a series of lists - things to pack, things to accomplish before we left, as well as reminders for when we return home again. We were actually ready early this morning and I felt assured that everything was packed and ready to go.

As we played a game while traveling, and later ate lunch, I realized several things I had forgotten to bring. Even though I had well planned and prepared for the trip there still were things that I missed. They weren't major things - just some food items that were desired. We can do without them and make do.

Every day we make plans in one way or another. We plan what we will eat, what we will wear, where we will go or what we will do. We plan and prepare as much as we can. Ever since creation God had a plan. He knew Adam and Eve would sin. This caused separation from God. The only way to bridge the gap was through Jesus.

Through the many years of history, God was preparing and planning for the day when He would send Jesus into the world as a baby. God also planned for the death of Jesus on the cross for our sins. He planned for Jesus' resurrection from the grave. Jesus promised before He left this earth, that He was going to plan and prepare a place for us in Heaven. Praise God that He plans for us and doesn't forget anything.

ACTIVITY
As you plan and prepare for the holidays, don't forget the reason why we celebrate Christmas.

PRAYER
I praise you Lord that you are a God that plans for my future. Help me to have a healthy balance of planning and just trusting in you. Amen.

No comments: