"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Stepping Up

My husband is participating in a Men's Bible study and they are studying the book Stepping Up by Dennis Rainey. That imagery of stepping up has been on my mind lately.

Perhaps you are more like me and you thrive on NOT being in the forefront. You're happy to be in the sidelines. I have to ask myself though, when it comes to the things that are important in my life and in my faith, am I stepping up or shrinking back? Am I like an ostrich, sticking my head in the sand and pretending nothing is going on around me?

I'm reminded of this verse in Hebrews 10:38-39.
“But my righteous one will live by faith.
    And I take no pleasure
    in the one who shrinks back.”
But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved.

I know my natural tendency when faced with opposition or a stressful situation is to clam up.Not necessarily a good thing.
So the question I have to ask myself... and perhaps you too... Am I stepping up in the areas that count? If not, how can I change?


No comments: