"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, August 23, 2013

E is for Excellent - Blog Hop Friday

A to Z blog hop at Patterings.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Philippians 4:8 


It's blog hop Friday again and this week is E for excellent. I've been thinking about this word all week, particularly in the way we should approach our work and our thoughts.

I like the way Colossians 3:22-25 is worded in The Message.

Servants, do what you’re told by your earthly masters. And don’t just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you’ll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you’re serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being a follower of Jesus doesn’t cover up bad work.

Scriptures like these make me pause and think about the way that I look at the tasks before me, especially ones I don't enjoy doing. Would those watching me say that I'm working with excellence?

Is my thought life what it should be or am I dwelling on stresses, hurts, etc.? Or am I instead choosing to think about things that are 'true, noble, right, pure, lovely and admirable'? Am I taking time to concentrate my thoughts on the Lord and what He has done in my life? Do I glory in just who He is?

How about you? When was the last time you chose to dwell on excellent? 

6 comments:

Dora Hiers said...

My son and I were just discussing this very topic this afternoon. Everything we do should be done to the best of our abilities, whether it's in a job or household task. I like how you also address our thought life. :)

Barbara Lynn Culler said...

Cannot remember the last time...That is not good!

Jodie Wolfe said...

Thanks for stopping by, Barbara.

It's not an easy thing to do, is it? I praise God that He continues to forgive and is patient with us.

Jodie Wolfe said...

Hi Dora,

So glad you came for a visit. :) This is a topic I've often spoken to my son about too.

I pray it's something I get better at as I mature in my Christian walk.

Karla Akins said...

I'm a big believer in excellence. Good point about doing those menial tasks with excellence, too.

Jodie Wolfe said...

Thanks for the visit, Karla.