"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Trading Friends

The other day I was at the park with my friend, her granddaughter and great niece. The girls are five and six years old and were playing in the splash ground area with a bunch of other local children. My friend and I chatted until her great niece stood beside us.

"She traded me for another friend," she complained, referring to the granddaughter.

I couldn't help but laugh at the expression. It's not often you year 'trading friends' as if you were a baseball player, or perhaps exchanging sports cards.

She was frustrated that the girl had gone off to play with other children. She could only see things from her perspective. She didn't realize they would soon both go home and have time together. Their friendship hadn't changed in any way, just a new element had been introduced.

I'm thankful that my God and my friends are faithful. They won't trade me when I do something stupid. Instead they come alongside me and love me anyway.

No comments: