"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I'm a Member of BA - Bookaholics Annonymous

All right, there is no such thing as Bookaholics Anonymous, at least as far as I know. And if there was, I guess I likely wouldn't be a member of it, since I can't seem to get away from my enjoyment of books. :) There is something about each book that is different - the color, size, shape, thickness of the pages, scent, and of course topics. I find myself quite taken with books. Ask anyone who has been to my home, and they will attest to the number of bookcases we have overloaded with books.

Perhaps this topic comes to mind, since I donated over eleven grocery bags full of educational books to a local used bookstore over the weekend. I had to clear off some shelves to make room for having another bookcase upstairs. My arms still feel the affects from carrying said books up and downstairs in our home. I laugh as I write this and look at a Willow Tree figurine I recently won in a contest with Martha Rogers blog. It's a figure of a girl, hugging a book to her chest and its called 'Love of Learning.'

Then in today's mail, a box of books arrived from Amazon. One book is a school book for my son for this fall. Likely the last school book I will need to buy for him since he will be a senior. Two of the books are writing books, and one is true stories of mail-order brides.

But of all the books I've read through the years, and there have been many, the one that I continue to read and always return to each day is God's word. "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105  Only God's word provides daily nourishment.

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

How blessed we are to have God speak to us through a collection of 'books'. True stories, parables, poems and history all blend to deliver a message without equal. I'm with you Jodie. No better book - even in a house groaning with 1000s of others :)