"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Notice Me!"

He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd.  So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way. Luke 19:3-4

It’s been over twenty-three years since I student taught in a second grade classroom. I still remember the unbridled enthusiasm of the children, bouncing in their seats unable to contain their excitement. One arm helped to support the up stretched one, waving in hopes of being acknowledged. Lips pierced tight, to prevent from calling out the desire to “notice me.”

Zacchaeus, in the account in the gospel of Luke, longed to see Jesus. His desperation caused him to climb a tree, in hopes of catching a glimpse of the revered man. His heart cried out for Christ to make a difference, but I doubt he had faith that anything would happen that day Jesus entered his home town. Perhaps Zacchaeus didn’t recognize or identify his need, because it was buried deep within his heart. Hope, fear, and impetuosity characterized Zacchaeus’ decision.

Similarly in the New Testament, a woman who suffered with bleeding for twelve years sought out Jesus. She was driven to elbow her way through a crowd of people, desiring to touch Jesus’s cloak. She knew Jesus could make a difference in her situation and heal her.

I can’t help but notice the correlation of these two stories in the Bible. Both individuals were in need and crying out “notice me” without using words. Even though they were calm on the outside, on the inside they responded the same way the students had in my classroom many years ago. They were bursting with eager anticipation of Jesus seeing them, recognizing and meeting their needs.

I find myself no different than these two Bible individuals. How many times do I get busy, burdened, and overwhelmed by my circumstances and forget to call out to my Heavenly Father, “Notice me.” God knows my heart and situation before I even ask, and is waiting for me to cry out like Zacchaeus and the bleeding woman, “Notice me!”

No comments: