"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, August 18, 2008

Irritants or Pearls?

Last Friday I had a check-up with our family doctor. One of the things that I discovered is that I have an irritant on my left heel - commonly known as a bone spur or calcification. It has been causing me a great deal of pain and discomfort in the past month or so. I notice it when I do my morning walk. I especially know that it is causing me problems when I have been off my feet for a while and then try to walk. Sometimes I can hardly stand to put my weight on it. I was prescribed some medicine as well as exercises to work on that should hopefully help to alleviate the problem. Eventually the calcification should reabsorb back into my body and not be an issue.

I thought of this as I was out walking today. I definitely could feel that tiny irritant as I took each step today. I was reminded of a clam that gets a speck of dirt or sand inside it's body. After months and months of dealing with the the pain and discomfort a pearl can be formed.

We each face different irritants each day. Sometimes they are consistently a part of our life for an extended period of time. No matter where we go we still are faced with the same struggle. At times we want to fight against the pain and discomfort. We rail against God and say, "Don't you care about what is happening here?" But perhaps at times we are able to see past the pain and ask God to use this 'problem' and make it a 'pearl' in our lives instead.

Which will you choose today? Irritant or Pearl?!

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Sorry about your heel spurs! I guess I really needed to read your post today. I have been fighting against an irritant since early Friday morning......my lower back! I think I over-did it last week putting up peaches for the winter. And it's been so long since I had a spell with my back that I had forgotten how much it slows me down! I have been so thankful to my hubby for all the things he has been doing that I normally do!
I don't know if this will turn into a pearl or not but I will try to not get so irritated about it! ha

Thanks for the lesson today.

God bless you,
Marilyn