"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Blessing of Friendship

"Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel." Proverbs 27:9

This verse describes my heart at this moment. I just got off the phone from talking with my dear friend who now lives almost 7oo miles away. She moved almost five months ago and we have still managed to keep in contact via weekly phone calls - one just to chat and another to chat and pray for each other. "Mrs. Quarter" (as my son fondly calls her) was my walking buddy while she lived here in PA, and I greatly miss her.

Today had been a rough day for multiple reasons. I felt crushed, discouraged and overwhelmed in many areas of my life, until I talked with my dear friend this afternoon. Somehow no matter what either of us is facing, just being able to share with someone that you know cares and spend time in prayer for each other makes an incredible difference. I know that she can't solve my problems for me, but I know I can count on her to be praying for me. I know that she cares deeply for me and my family and the struggles that we face.

In this day and age in an overwhelmed, defeated and over stressed generation, it is a true blessing when you find a friend that takes the time to listen. Someone that will come alongside you and help to shoulder your burdens through covering you in prayer. To me that is a blessing that I don't take lightly.

Is there a friend that you have that needs to hear how much you appreciate them? Don't let the day go by without telling them in some way.

No comments: