"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Ellie's Recipe

Hi! Ellie Stafford here. Since I'm guest blogging today for Jodie, I'd thought I'd share one of my recipes. One of my specialties is fried steak. This recipe comes from my mother's cookbook.

Fried Steak (The Improved Housewife, or Book of Receipts; with Engravings for Marketing and Carving by Mrs. A. L. Webster -1855)

Such pieces as are good for broiling, are also good for frying.
Brown a few pieces of salt pork; take them up; put in your beef; when brown on both sides, take it up and remove the pan to let the fat cool. When cool, pour in four spoonfuls of water; mix two teaspoonfuls of flour with a little water; mix it with the fat; replace the pan on the fire; stir it till it boils up; pour it over the beef.


Jodie wanted me to share a little more about my story. Here's what she wrote about me on the back of her book.



Orphaned at age ten, Ellie Stafford and her twin sister Mae made a vow—to stick together and never marry. Nothing will ever come between them. Now in their mid twenties, they are bucking convention in Calder Springs, Texas, as women with respectable occupations who can take care of themselves. Ellie works at the Good Fixin's Diner and spends her evenings knitting garments for The Children's Aid Society. When a handsome local rancher shows up searching for a cook, she's hardly even tempted.

Luke Rogers owns a spread just outside of Calder Springs. It was running as smooth as cattle going through a chute until his cook up and marries the local widow and high-tails it back east. With no cook and a bunkhouse full of ranch hands ready to revolt, he persuades Ellie to temporarily fill-in until he can hire someone else. He should have known better than to get tangled up with another woman. 


Tune in on Thursday and I'll share another of my recipes. :) Jodie also wanted me to share that you all are welcome to attend her online book launch party on Facebook on Thursday evening from 6-9 PM. She didn't tell me what Facebook is though. Hearts Tightly Knit Book Launch Party. If you haven't picked up a copy of her book yet you can find it here. Purchase Link.

Hope you have a great day and enjoy my story. :)

No comments: