"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, September 4, 2014

To Walk on Water... You First Need to Get Out of the Boat

Around three in the morning, He came toward them walking on the sea. When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost!” they said, and cried out in fear.  

 Immediately Jesus spoke to them. “Have courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

“Lord, if it’s You,” Peter answered Him, “command me to come to You on the water.”

“Come!” He said.

And climbing out of the boat, Peter started walking on the water and came toward Jesus. 

Matthew 14:25-29

We had a guest speaker at our church this past Sunday. Actually it was given by the man who will be our new preacher. I was incredibly challenged by his message. He used this passage in Matthew that talks about when Jesus and Peter walked on the water. 

Peter trusted Jesus and took that step of faith. He got out of the boat. Peter was able to do something miraculous.... until he took his eyes off Jesus and gave in to the doubts and fears around him. He listened to those voices in his head that told him it was impossible for him to be doing what he was doing.

I think of how many times I follow God in something He has called me to do... but then those fears and doubts hit me like a huge wave and I flounder as much as Peter did.

I know the key is in looking to Jesus. I will only be able to do miraculous things... because of Him. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be walking on water than sitting safe and secure on the boat.

Where are you... on the boat... on the water walking... or sinking?

The great thing is that God can meet us no matter where we are.


 

No comments: