"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, February 24, 2012

Single-Minded Focus

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Luke 10:41-42a 

I came across this passage this morning while reading my various devotional materials. It was a reminder of how often we get distracted, or stressed out by things going on in our life. We stew and fret. But in this verse, Jesus said to Martha (and is also saying to each one of us), we only need to be focused on one thing - or more importantly, one person - Jesus Christ. Sometimes it's a continual battle not to be distracted, 'worried and upset about many things'. God is calling us to so much more than this.

"I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:12b-14 

I'm pressing on toward the goal of continually abiding in Christ Jesus.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2 

No comments: