"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Freedom

In my anguish I cried to the LORD,
   and he answered by setting me free.
The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid.
   What can man do to me? 
Psalm 118:5-6 

I've been thinking this morning about freedom. Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in the worries and concerns of this life we experience on planet Earth. So many things demand our attention. But God calls us to put a lid on the worries and concerns and instead focus on the 'one thing.' Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14

Sometimes He asks us to give up good things in our lives for something that is better. Jesus Christ is the one thing we should be pursuing. It is Him we should follow, and when we have wholehearted abandon to Him, we experience freedom and His peace.

No comments: