"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Holy Ground

"When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!" And Moses said, "Here I am." "Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." Exodus 3:4-5

I have been thinking about this verse this morning. How often do you think of being on holy ground as you spend time in prayer and reading your Bible. A lot of times we look at devotions as part of our "to do" list that can be checked off. Yep, I read my Bible and I prayed. We approach God the same way. Here is the list of things that I want Lord: please heal Aunt Gertie, help my husband to get that new job, help Billy to do well in his test today.... The list goes on and on. Or else we read our Bibles, but are often thinking of the things that we need to accomplish for the day.

How different would our spiritual life be, if we approached these times with the Lord as Moses did? If we thought of it as being on holy ground, would we be more reverent and expectant of hearing from God? Would we find that each day we hear God's sweet voice and eagerly look forward to the time that we spent with Him? I wonder....



***** If you have a few moments, look at the poll that I have in the right side bar.

No comments: