"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Everyday Blessings

The Lord surprised me recently with some special blessings. I love to eat oranges; however they have been very expensive so I had not purchased any. I desired some for Christmas, but did not feel I could buy more than four. Just days before the holiday, oranges went on sale at the local grocery store. If you bought a five pound bag you received an additional bag free. I was overjoyed. What a blessing.

A day or two after acquiring my ten pounds of oranges, I visited with a friend and we exchanged gifts. As I was leaving she gave me another five pound bag of this delicious fruit. God's threefold blessing overwhelmed me. He cared about my desire for oranges and even multiplied it.

On Christmas Eve my husband, two sons and I celebrated with a traditional family meal. As we enjoyed snacks I realized that I had forgotten to purchase one of my personal favorites - peanut brittle. Funds were tight so I cut back on some of the extras. Christmas morning I opened a gift from a lady that faithfully attends a Bible study I lead. Much to my surprise in a basket of various goodies, there was a small bag of peanut brittle. I felt touched by God's special blessings and knew He loved me.

Several days after Christmas we visited my in-laws and exchanged gifts. I smiled when my husband opened a gift from them that had a book in it. I had recently told God that I really would like to have this same book. I could not help but share with my husband and sons how God had blessed me. This was beginning to be a wonderful adventure and I could not wait to see what other great things God was going to bring into my life.

I had several weeks in December when it was very evident that God was with me and cared about the little things in my life. Then January hit and I was overwhelmed when we had more bills to pay than money in our bank account. I begged the Lord to intervene. I prayed one of those prayers that go like this: "Lord, I know that we are not always the best stewards of what you have given us, but could you please intervene in this situation? Don't you care about us?" Of course I knew He did, I just did not feel it at the moment. I knew He loved me, but I saw no possible way that this situation would work.

As my husband and I started setting up for what bills we could pay, the Lord suddenly reminded me of something that I had forgotten. During the month of January my husband would have four high school swim meets to officiate and would be paid. The amount received would more than cover what was needed. Oh me of little faith.

How easy it is to believe when I see, not so simple when the way is veiled. God's love for me had not changed over the weeks. I felt loved and cared for in a special way when God surprised me with unexpected blessings. When situations happened that caused stress and worry it did not mean that His love for me had diminished.

The more I think about blessing from God, I realize that they are not few and far between. Every day I have glimpses of God's goodness and love. I just need to learn to recognize them. These blessings can be observed in the playful antics of a puppy, the blush of a newlywed, the smile on a baby's face, the cheerful obedience of a child, or the abundance of oranges.

11 comments:

Latanya Wagner said...

Great blog! God is so good. He so loves giving us gifts and blessings! Thanks for the reminder!

Latanya

Greg C said...

The same things happen to me all the time. I have found that if I put total faith in God, he will provide for me. Sometimes I don't get exactly what I ask for but then later I see the reasons and realize, God knows what is best for me.

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Praising God for his faithfulness and your ability to see and give Him credit~
Precious post.
Blessings!

Sisterlisa said...

Yes, the blessings, no matter how small we think they are, are really treasured.

Celly B said...

How wonderful for you to recognize God's hand at work in the details of your life.

Heather said...

What abundant gifts you have recieved! Isn't it marvelous to see God's love demonstrated so clearly? Thanks for sharing.

Van said...

Seems God is busy giving his children more than they could ever imagine or hope for. We need to ask and trust. Thanks for your story.

Julie said...

I could relate to your story. My husband had 6 different jobs in 4 years all paying thousands less than our living expenses. It was QUITE a season, not one that we chose, but one that God chose. My husband has never been a "job hopper", staying with companies for years. God designed that season of our lives...He wanted to give us a front row seat of who He is as Provider. I will never forget the things I saw of God.

On one such occasion I desperately wanted a Honey Baked Turkey. I could taste it I wanted it so bad.
I went home and tried to figure out where I could draw the money from. I realized it was a ridiculous idea so I gave it up.

A few days later a friend had asked to take me to lunch while her teenage children babysat mine.
On the way to lunch she told me she had left dinner in the refrig. for us that night. Guess what was waiting for me in the refrig? Yep, the Honey Baked turkey.

The thing that amazed me was that I hadn't even asked God for it. I had just wanted it. He wanted me to see how much He thought of me.

Blessings,
Julie
PS. I am new to blog world and would love to have you stop by. I love meeting new friends.
jewelzsightings.blogspot.com

Anne said...

"When situations happened that caused stress and worry it did not mean that His love for me had diminished."

No, in fact, I think it is God's way of brining us closer to Him. We can't do it all by our selves. We need Him in our lives, each and every day and at every moment.

I am so glad that you felt His loving embrace upon you and your family once again.

Love,
Anne

Amy L Brooke said...

I really liked this! And I love the title to your blog. Keep writing.

Sandy said...

Wonderful post and I love your blog banner and title, the picture just drew me in.

Blessings,
Miss Sandy