"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Welcome Sherry Kyle!

 Here we are in a new month already. The calendar says spring has arrived, but the temperatures tell a different story. :)

Today I'd like to welcome Sherry Kyle. She writes for women and tweens. Can you tell us how you developed your love of story, Sherry?

I have always loved to read, but it wasn’t until I was a mom that I developed a love of story. When my children were small, I would take them to the public library and check out stacks of books. Although I enjoyed reading them, I found I had more fun creating stories of my own so I enrolled in writing courses. And as they say, the rest is history.

I imagine you created some fun stories for your children. :) How does faith play a part in your writing?

I wouldn’t be able to write faith-based books if I didn’t connect with God on a daily basis. Besides my quiet time, I pray before I write and ask God to help me put the words on the page. This helps me to rely on Him, get rid of the inner editor telling me my writing is no good, and allows the creativity to flow.

I know what you mean about the importance of bathing our writing in prayer...and our editing. :) What do you want readers to come away with after reading your books?

I write sweet, heartwarming books for women and tween girls. I hope women connect with my novels and come away satisfied, and I pray girls connect with God in a deeper way.

That's wonderful. Tell us about your new book.

I have two new books for girls that released in the last two months. The Girl’s Guide to Life is an interactive book for tween girls about many topics girls think about, such as family, friends, boys, school, nutrition, fitness, faith, among many others. There are stories, activities, crafts, Bible verses, and fun quizzes to help girls navigate life and help them make good decisions. Love, Lexi: Letters to God is a fictionalized devotional for 10-14 year old girls. The book is in journal form and follows Lexi, a seventh grader and a middle child, as she seeks to put God first in her life. There are Bible verses, a short devotional, and place for girls to journal and write their own letters to God.

They sound like fun books for girls. What is your most difficult writing challenge?

My most difficult writing challenge is balancing writing with my family life. I have four kids between the ages of 16-23, with three of them living at home. I feel it’s a great privilege to do what I love and stay connected with my kids throughout the day, but it’s also hard to carve out solid writing time. I know it won’t be long until my kids leave the nest, and I’ll wish to be interrupted! :)

Treasure your time with your kids. That time slips by so quickly. I've been an empty nester for a few years now. Do you listen to music or snack while writing?

I like it quiet when I write so that I can hear the characters in my head. I try not to snack too much while I write, but I’m known to create my own trail mix (nuts, Honey Nut Cheerios, chocolate acai berries, and Cheez-It crackers). I do like to sip on tea or drink a SoBe water while at the computer.
Sounds good. :) What is your 'how I got published' story?

My first book is titled The Christian Girl’s Guide to Style, and was published after I sent it in as an unsolicited manuscript. I still remember getting the phone call and hearing the editor say, “We’d like to publish your manuscript!”

The book is part of a series of girl’s guides from different authors, and I’m so thankful I had the nerve to send it in. The Christian Girl’s Guide to Style went on to win a Gold Mom’s Choice Award and continues to resonate with tween girls—and their moms. :)

That's wonderful. :) If you'd like to connect more with Sherry, here is her information.

Sherry Kyle is the author of books for tween girls, including a Gold Mom’s Choice Award winner, and new releases The Girl’s Guide to Life and Love, Lexi: Letters to God. She also writes novels for women set along the coast of California where she makes her home with her college sweetheart and their four children. When she’s not writing, Sherry spends her time reading, having coffee with friends, and decorating her beach home. You can visit her at www.sherrykyle.com, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

Don't forget that all comments this month will be entered into the drawing for Kissed by a Cowboy by Debra Clopton.

No comments: