"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, July 31, 2015

Abraham and Isaac.... A Lesson I Thought I Would Have Learned by Now...

"Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.”

When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”
“Here I am,” he replied.

Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”

So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.” Genesis 22:2, 9-12, 14 (NIV)

I've had several times in my life where God has used this scripture to lead me to a new level of obedience, letting go and trusting Him. You think I would have learned this lesson by now.

The first time occurred when I had to give up my 'then' intended. I knew he was the man God had for me but the only trouble was I allowed my relationship with him to become more important than my relationship with God. I had to put my desire for marriage on the altar. Ouch! It wasn't until I released him that a few months later God brought us back together again.

The next series of testing came when we were trying to get pregnant. All the other spouses in our Army unit became pregnant... except me. In fact, we were the only ones who had been trying. Months later I finally became with child, only to lose it a few weeks later. Again I had to put on the altar my desire to have a child and pray and ask for His will in my life, even if it meant never getting my heart's desire - children. Well, in time, God gave us two handsome sons. 

So now I'm at my third session of laying my desires on the altar. Ever since I was a young girl I've desired to be a writer, to be published and see my books in print. While I have an agent and my works have gotten before quite a few publishers, I've yet to actually receive a contract.

I recently attended the Montrose Christian Writers Conference and during one of the opening sessions I knew that I needed to place my desire of being a published author at the feet of Jesus knowing I may never see that longing fulfilled. Still, He has called me to be obedient to write the stories He places on my heart, even if it's only for an audience of One. 

I choose to leave my desires on His altar and trust Him to work in whatever way is best. I choose obedience.

In what area do you struggle to be obedient? In what ways can I pray for you?


(Photo courtesy of Pixabay)

4 comments:

journeystojoy.net said...

Like you, Jodie, I've had to LAY those desires on that oh so difficult altar.
Things that have to do with our family, our dreams as husband and wife, and the dreams I've had for decades (also from childhood) of becoming the writer GOD would have me be. I've always equated REAL WRITERS as being published writers. . .had to rid myself of that concept in December. I still would LOVE to be a published writer, but I am not going to force MY WILL on HIM and destroy my relationship with HIM over a dream.
I prefer to write in obedience and allow HIM the outcome. Hard to see those around us who possibly have written for a MUCH shorter time realizing their dreams - UNTIL - I am reminded by God in his merciful way - HIS TIMING, HIS PLANS, HIS WAYS are not ours and HIS ARE SO MUCH HIGHER THAN EARTH - Your article is one MORE reminder from HIM stating - I'VE GOT THIS, JOY!

Thanks for posting, Jodie! HUGS with my PRAYERS for you and THE WRITING HE CALLS YOU TOO - and btw - I LOVE YOUR STORIES so you've got more than ONE reader. ':)-

Jodie Wolfe said...

Thanks, Joy. :)

Elaine Stock said...

Powerful words, Jodie, even if I'm looking at this a few days late. Yet, even when I'm reading this--today--I now realize that I'm not reading it on the late side, on reading it on the right day and at the right time: His time. I needed to read this today! Thank you.

Jodie Wolfe said...

I'm glad it spoke to you, Elaine. His timing is perfect. :)