"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Take My Burden

 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior,
    who daily bears our burdens.
Psalm 68:19
 
I was talking to a dear friend of mine on the phone today. Our time was limited since she needed to hurry off to an appointment, and I had writing deadlines I needed to be working on. In the few moments that we spoke, I poured out my heart to her, sharing several things that have been burdening my soul. She asked if there is anything she can do, and I replied flippantly about taking my burdens for a while.

It was in that moment that I realized that I have someone who daily does this for me, when I allow Him to do so. But I have to make an active choice to place my burdens on God's shoulders, and allow Him to carry them for me. Which means not taking them back again, but trusting that somehow He is going to work in them. So today, I choose to lay my burdens at His feet, knowing He will take care of them for me. I don't need to worry. Instead I choose to worship Him.

Hear my prayer, O Lord;
    listen to my cry for mercy.
In the day of my trouble I will call to you,
    for you will answer me.
Psalm 86:6-7

No comments: